As I was thinking through the idea of an introvert blogging, one of the items that struck me as both interesting and productive is the exploration of what I think are misconceptions that other people have about me. I came up with a long list of those misconceptions while cutting the grass the other day, but now I can't remember any of them. Obviously they were important.

However, I can start out with this one - People that I know believe that I hate Apple computers.

In reality, I'm fine with the actual computers. Many times I think they are neat, have good innovations, nice gadgets and creative implementation of what Macs "do". I can work perfectly fine with one, I can eventually find settings I need and files that I have stored. I still believe that Microsoft is better geared toward the work force / corporation environment as a whole, and the only way that deploying a Mac environment in those situations for a reasonable cost is if Mac sponsors it.

When it comes down to it, I have very little brand loyalty - I just want a product that does what I want it to do when I want it to do it! And as much as Mac and Linux fan-boys will turn up their noses at this, so far that solution has been Windows.

Here is what I actually hate - I hate the mentality behind the advertisement of the Apple brand. I hate it for the same reason that I hate political mud-slinging. The new Mac Guy/ Microsoft Guy commercials are just the tip of the iceberg...the "getting ahead by making the other guy look bad" concept has been going on for a long time, and I don't like it. (I REALLY hate the commercial that suggests Mac computers are more "fun" somehow than Windows - exactly when did playing commercial games become feasible for Macs? Maybe 2006? I've been using my Windows computer for that since about 1992.)

I think it plays on some of the worst flaws in Mankind's personality to engage in that type of warfare, to try to beat out your competition by simply saying, "Look, they have too much of the market share! That's not fair! Tear them down so that we can compete on equal footing!" It's like playing Monopoly when you're the current winning player - the other three gang up on you just because you're winning. (Think about that next time you're playing ANY board game...someone will always try to play the "underdog" card...I've never really understood the psychological reason for people to want to bring down the person who reaches the winning position first when they are going to lose anyway. Why do you care if the person in second wins over the person in first?)

Here's an idea - try actually competing for the marketshare. Try making a product that people can actually use in their day to day business. I think Mac has finally reached that place, but are too busy being snide to really advertise it well.

Take the Iphone for example...that's competing. No one else has a product that holds a candle to it. And Apple is perfectly happy with that, I'm sure. They don't stop and say, "well, hang on, this isn't really fair." Quite the opposite. They say, "Hey, only one phone company gets this. Oh, and you can't insure it except through us. Did we mention that you have to use iTunes to manage it? Oh, and before we forget, iTunes means selling your soul."

Here's what I really hate about Apple. They have complained for YEARS about monopoly practices that Microsoft has, one practice being when Microsoft tied Internet Explorer in so tightly into their product and actually had the never to not deliever Windows with other internet browsers from competing companies installed. (To be clear, Apple was not involved in that particular lawsuit, it is just an example.) Man, you would have thought Satan burned his mark into Windows 98! (I tend to think Satan actually came into the picture for Windows ME.) But when Apple, the "underdog", controls their Operating system, hardware, software and accessories with an iron fist...no problem. No one says a word. Oh, and what browser comes installed on Macs?

I despise, that as a computer technician, I cannot buy parts for a Mac at fair market prices. For example, last year one of the fans in a co-worker's Mac died, so the Mac began overheating, running sluggishly, and crashing. Normally, ordering this part for a PC is about $5. $7 with shipping. When I finally figured out how to order it from Apple? $80. Seriously.

And don't give me the party line of "supierior craftsmanship". I can show you the part, you wouldn't pay $80 for it either.

I'll finish with this - although I can feel an icy hand gripping my heart when one of the Macs in our office crashes, because I know that a) it will not be easy to fix, and b) it will not be cheap to fix, it also makes me smile a little inside. Because I also really hate false advertising. The idea that Macs don't "crash" makes me chuckle every time. "Crash" is too light of a word for what happens when an Apple computer has issues.

So there is the misconception - I don't hate Mac computers, or Mac users. I just like products that can sell themselves without stooping to slander.

2 comments:

Matt said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZKp8_jOHo

garret donovan said...

I agree with everything in here I think. I actually make fun of Macs more than I dislike them, mostly because it gets a rise out of quite a few of my friends. I think that Macs are so innovative with Multimedia, and I actually have grown quite fond of the Mac we use in the tech booth at Spivey- especially the Keynote program. Like you said though, I could not imagine a business trying to run in a corporate setting using Macs.

I think the reason you don't hear people talking about Macs crashing is because not enough of every day users are on Macs. It's the same with Mozilla when it first came out, I kept hearing "Firefox is better because it's harder for hijackers to breach, or keyloggers to run." That may have been true, but that's because not enough people used Mozilla for programers to care. At least that was my thoughts on it, I could be way off. Either way, I think if a majority of users were on Macs, then PC's would be the "cool" toy, and they would always "work."