On my way home from work a few minutes ago, a commercial I despise with every bone in my body came on - Budweiser's Code Blue.

Maybe it's because I'm not a beer drinker, but I just don't get the commercial. I have several issues with it, maybe someone can enlighten me on it.

If you haven't heard the commercial, this guy opens his bottle of beer, and thanks to a new "breakthrough" by Budweiser, the label turns blue notifying the drinker that the bottle is really cold. He then texts his friends with the words "Code Blue", sharing his achievement with others less fortunate and inviting them to join in his wondrous luck.

Let's start with the cold thing. I just can't get why this guy gets so excited that his beer is cold. Is this a common problem with bear drinkers, that where ever you normally drink has a shortage of cold ones? If so, I'd complain. Something like, "Hey, this beer is warm...can I get it cold?" I mean, sure, it's gonna have spit in it after that, but at least it's cold. Maybe I'm having a problem because my vice is drinking Coke. You see, when I get a Coke out of the fridge, or from a restaurant, it's always cold. Every time. At least once I moved out of my parent's basement and starting keeping drinks in a fridge (Sorry Matt). So I don't really get that excited about it. It's like waking up and being pumped because your bed didn't catch fire during the night - it's an unlikely event, so you really don't think about it until it happens. If it's a Coke, you get some ice - if it's your bed...sorry. That really bites.

Secondly, does he really need a label that turns blue to be able to differentiate between warm and cold? I would think the frostbite on his hand would be a good sign that the beer is the correct temperature. Is he already too drunk to know the difference, or am I missing something again about how great color changing from temperature technology is? If it's really that great, I say bring back Hypercolor clothing so I can start texting my friends every time the armpits of my shirt change color. CODE YELLOW: I'm sweating and it's awesome because everyone knows it.

Which brings up my last issue. If my friends started texting me "Code Blue" I'd be pretty pissed. First of all, you've just wasted my time and text by telling me something that I don't care anything about, except that now I know you're an idiot.
Secondly, it seems to me like this guy is just rubbing it in his friend's faces that he's off work, in a bar, and about to get drunk. That doesn't seem very nice. I mean, I don't work somewhere where I can just drop everything because someone's label turned blue, which is apparently some kind of signal that I should join them. So I'm still working, and now I'm annoyed that my friend isn't. It really ends up being a play by play of a random event in someone's life, which is rather odd. How annoying would it be if we all starting doing that every time we did anything?
CODE RED: I just opened a coke! CODE PC: I just booted my computer! CODE BANKRUPT: I just filled my gas tank! CODE TWITTER: I just twittered...oh. Yeah, that is annoying.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Believe it or not, beers, depending on the brew, are meant to be served and enjoyed at varying temperatures of "coldness."

Something like Budweiser, which is, by the way, nasty stuff that even I won't touch, is meant to be ICE cold, literally--this enhances the taste (basically by masking the bitter-turd-like taste of it with freezing coldness that numbs your tongue).

Tecate or Red Stripe are meant to be served pretty darned cold, as well. I CAN tell the difference in the taste of those brands when they've only been in the fridge for 30 minutes, versus 3 hours.

Also, Coke cools and freezes a LOT faster than beer does. You have to have a very cold temp for a while to get beer to freeze. A mildly cold Coke's flavor isn't drastically different than a freezing cold one.

By the way, Guiness (and many other very dark, thick beers) are meant to be served only mildly to moderately cool.

Not knowing if your beer is cold enough for optimal enjoyment would be the concern of a connesuer drinking a very elevated, expensive, complex beer--NOT for a Bud-drinker drinking Bud. :)

The hyper-color sticker doesn't do CRAP. It's a gimmick sales ploy and that's all.

As for being pissed that your friends are wasting your time and texts with senseless, unnecessary text messages, I'm afraid my text habits to your phone thus far pretty much destroy your justification for being pissed off. :) You have yet to smite me for my constant texting of "LOL I AM UR FRIEND N I EATED UR FACE NOM NOM NOM."

Kenny said...

Thanks for the enlightenment...it's still a stupid commercial.

And your texts make me laugh, which makes it worth it - every time I have to read it twice, because I glance the first time and I'm like, "who just sent me that?"

Matt said...

/agreed, it is a stupid commercial..


...but there can be a legitimate concern over whether your beer is too cold or not cold enough. :)

I thank you for encouraging and enabling my texting habits. I shall continue.